But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:13-14
2013 Week 45: Living ThankfulBy Evan Nehring
I wonder sometimes what's the best way to honor the heroic warriors who have served in the armed forces to protect our freedom. It starts with understanding and remembering, but there's more. It's much like looking to the cross and Jesus' sacrifice for our salvation. Yes, we look. We understand. Our hearts break with gratitude, but what does it mean? What happens next?
We live in a way that honors the noble sacrifice. We choose lofty, noble goals and pursue them with passion and integrity.
If I were in a foxhole, I believe I'd be comforted to know that men and women would embrace lives of spirited goodness.
So, in that spirit of zeal, here's the week 45 version of my goal updates for 2013. Seven weeks left!
1. Have 12 monthly date nights with Colleen.
Col and I talked on the way to Olive Garden this weekend. We agreed that the monthly dates have been a special part of our year. Yes, I'd love for it to be once a week...someday, but that's not our season of life. I've gotta say, Col looks much better than me in this picture. Friday night is the energy low point of my week, but Jason had a birthday party and once again we jumped on it!
One month to go...
One month to go...
2. Lose 37 pounds.Four weeks since our last check-in, three more pounds lost. So I'm at 30. Feels great but I'm a little uptight about hitting a pound a week the rest of the way. My knee injury and calf tightness don't really allow running yet, so my plan is to get the walking thing going along with the Weight Watchers points.
The plan: start walking 10,000 steps/day when my pedometer arrives later this week.
3. House projects: Finish Organizing Upstairs OfficeOK, I'm going to activate this project again since my writing deadlines are looking good. Goal for the next two weeks: get the remaining pieces of audio equipment listed on eBay.
4. Meet my Road Trip writing deadlines for 2013.
I've completed three more chapters since the last goal post. Just one chapter left in section four. I have a breakfast interview on Wednesday with a local financial planner to get input on financial choices in the young adult years. I've almost completely caught up on the timeline and have a nice sense of momentum.I'm cutting it close for section five, but I've written much of that material already. If I can get first draft done by New Year's Day, I'll be so thrilled! AND, plans for the new year are coming together...
- November 4 for Cash
- November 18 for The Church Search Matrix
- December 2 for Leaders of 10's, 50's, 100's, 1000's
Comments are always welcome!
What can you do over the next seven weeks to finish 2013 living thankful? Perhaps a year end resolution could be even more effective than a new year's resolution.