But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:13-14
2013 Week 41: First Draft by Christmas?By Evan Nehring
This picture represents how I feel about the first draft of my book project. The project can never be finished until it first spans the gorge. I've got so many ideas to fine tune and get creative, but first I've got to bridge the distance. Can I be done by Christmas? I think so.
|Unfinished Bridge on the Hoover Dam Freeway|
This Road Trip dream has been a highway stretching out over the hilltop beyond sight. Now the destination is in plain sight. My creativity is stirring. I wake up with ideas for graphic additions and tone coloration. My passion is stirring. I feel a growing burden to get out and share the story I've been documenting these many months.
The unfinished bridge inspires me. Even the invisible portion seems visible as the geometry of the thing emerges. Hebrews 11:1 says,
Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. (NIV)There will be more work on the other side of the bridge. I hope to publish next summer. We'll see. But my focus is on the far canyon wall. My focus is on celebrating holidays with family and friends with this leg of the journey complete.
Here's the week 41 version of my goal updates for 2013.
1. Have 12 monthly date nights with Colleen.
September and October have been grueling with long work hours on an upgrade project. One way or another, we'll find an evening together this month...
2. Lose 37 pounds.OK, two more weeks, two more pounds. I'm down 27 for the year now. 10 more pounds to go in 11 weeks. The pants are getting a little baggy. Perhaps I'm ready for another size drop. I like that. Staying on the path!
3. House projects: Finish Organizing Upstairs OfficeStill on hold until I catch up closer to the writing timeline. I am getting closer. I could possibly blow this goal out in 10-14 days if needed.
4. Meet my Road Trip writing deadlines for 2013.
I've knocked out two more chapters since the last goal post. (Helps that this post is a few days late.) The next chapter is more than half done, so I'm still making up time on the timeline.Eleven weeks left in the year. I'm very close to arriving back on my timeline and very pumped to be this close to a full, pre-edited book.
- September 23 for A-LIST ~ Interaction: Small Shop or Big Business?
- October 7 for A-LIST ~ Structure: Who Decides How I Spend My Day?
- October 21 for A-List ~ Tension: Work-Life Balance
Comments are always welcome!
Do you have any projects which just need a bridge across the canyon before you do your fine tuning? What project do you just need to wrap your arms around and get hold of before getting more detailed?