But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:13-14
2013 Week 39: More Productive Alone?By Evan Nehring
A blog post from IQTell's Productivity Blog resonates with me.
There's a difference between seeming busy and actually knocking things consistently and reliably off your to-do list. Do you remember that Seinfeld episode where George decides he's going to trick everyone into thinking he's busy by acting angry all the time? It works! I call it the frantic facade. Get intense. Move stuff around on your desk. People will think you're very busy.
Seems like the IQTell Productivity Blog is steering us in another direction, to a quieter place. I love that place. It's where you can settle into a deep mode of thought where your brain can go 1000 miles per hour and switch tracks and hold several ideas in the air before resolving them in an organized fashion. It's the zone. Amazing things happen in the zone. Interruptions kill the zone.
There's a time to get shoulder to shoulder and make something happen together. And there's a time to be alone.
Here's the week 39 version of my goal updates for 2013.
1. Have 12 monthly date nights with Colleen.
September was a Barnes and Nobles night. We like those. Saturday was a family day. Tim and Megan came down for dinner and it was a beautiful day to hang out together. Then Colleen, Jason and I hit B&N. We didn't tell Jason it was a date so he wouldn't feel awkward. We all had Starbucks coffee and browsed leisurely. Nice.
2. Lose 37 pounds.It's been a decent two weeks. I dropped 3 more pounds so I'm at 25 pounds now for the year. I've got 12 pounds to lose in 13 weeks. I'm back to hiking and walking with my injured calf now, but the focus is still on nutrition. WeightWatcher points counting is dialed in!
3. House projects: Finish Organizing Upstairs OfficeOn hold until I catch up closer to the writing timeline.
4. Meet my Road Trip writing deadlines for 2013.
I knocked out the Servant, Apprentice, Journeyman, Master chapter. It's cool. Watch the blog for highlights in the weeks ahead. The next chapter is more than half done, so I'm making up time on the timeline.Thirteen weeks left in the year. That's a full quarter of the year and a chance to finish strong. My project list is so much bigger than what's here but it's fun to track a few of these for the year. Let's find our moments to get into the zone!
- August 26 for A-LIST ~ Abilities: What Am I Good At?
- September 9 for A-LIST ~ Location: Where Do I Want to Work?
- September 23 for A-LIST ~ Interaction: Small Shop or Big Business?
Comments are always welcome!
Do you have a need to be alone to get in the zone?