But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:13-14
2013 Week 4: Storm of Motivation
By Evan Nehring
Some of my greatest seasons of accomplishment and motivation have had an edge to them...a bit of anger. I'm not talking about a seething, self-destructive internal rage. That's not helpful. Perhaps just a realization that God has designed me and my family for more than this.
Ever been there?
Yes, I will gladly accept any circumstance the Father intends. Sometimes, though, I think we settle for something less than He intends. Sometimes we need to kick over the furniture, slam our fist on the table and say, "No! THIS is not how it's going to be!"
I prefer to have those types of conversations in God's presence alone, but the conversation itself can be exactly what's needed! Love is slow to anger, not dead to anger.
So, yeah, I've got a bit of edge this year. I'll keep bringing it to God, but I don't think it's a bad thing. I can hear the "ding ding" of the ringside bell and the heavenly crowd of witnesses chanting, "Evan, Evan, Evan!"
Are they chanting your name, too? Maybe it's time for a godly edge...
So here are my weekly goal updates.
1. Have 12 monthly date nights with Colleen.January, check. Twelve days 'til our Valentine's dinner date...
2. Lose 37 pounds by May 6.Yep, this is still working. Week 4 has me down another 3 pounds for a total of 14. I'm still 2 ahead of my pace to reach the goal on time. Next week the pace slows to 2 pounds/week.
I've had a nice bounce back week from the flu cold stuff I was dealing with last week. I want the weight off faster, but it feels great to be dialed in. I need to thank Colleen for the great meals she's preparing for the family. It's a huge part of our success. I'm trying to rock as many hours scrubbing pots and pans as I can!
3. Log my 2013 walking/running mileage.The mileage logging is still going great. I'm at 91 miles for 4 weeks, which is pretty non-athletic. But this is what I want: motivation to move everyday without taking workout time right now. I've got to focus time on the other goals and helping Colleen. 23 miles this week. You should see me walking my hospital rounds!
4. Meet my Road Trip writing deadlines for 2013.It's January 29th and I'm very close to having the book proposal complete. Oh my goodness, you guys, this thing is so great! I'm completely thrilled at how it has come together and what it means to the future of this message God has placed on my heart.
I just have the chapter-by-chapter summary to finish up, tidy up the manuscript a bit, knock out a query letter, and it's all set. I've never believed more in this project than I do right now. I'll try to meet my Thursday, January 31 submission goal so I can relax a bit with my parents coming this weekend. Feels like college...
5. Complete the new roof project.OK, yes, the purchase plan for the roof project is begun. I found some decent templates online but ultimately went with a MS Word purchase order template. I have pages for supplies, equipment, tools and general expense. My next action on this goal is to have quantities specified for all items by next Tuesday.
I hope your 2013 goals are going well. Thanks for being a key part in mine! We're going to HAPPEN to our world this year, with a God-given edge!
Subscribe to receive my posts by email. Plus, you'll receive my 31-Day Road Trip Rest Stop Devotional by email starting within an hour!