Five great questions of life: Life * Love * Learning * Labor * Leadership
Progressivism: Threat to Religious Freedom
By Evan Nehring
Ask ten people on the street to tell you what progressivism is. Six will say, "Huh?" Two will fall asleep instantly. And two will give you some kind of an answer. If faith matters to you, understanding progressivism should matter, too.
While it's true that progressives are liberals today, many (most?) liberals or Democrats don't know the connection. Progressivism is on the cusp of historic victory. If the American progressives win this year, they may never face serious opposition again. So, who are they?!
Progressives see human power and potential as preeminent, higher than any ideas about God.
- Progressivism began to take root in American politics in the late-1800’s and has gathered steam for 120 years.
Progressives say that your rights should be determined by what society needs right now.
- I have very deep concerns that whichever party and whichever leaders embrace the progressive agenda, they stand foundationally in opposition to God and to the scriptural idea of human dignity and freedom.
- This can be couched in Christian-sounding language, saying that big government with its many helpful programs is the most compassionate way.
- But if the government can gain the power of giving everyone their rights and expanding government programs to touch every area of our lives, then the government can take away those rights.
The best example I can give of the overreach of progressivism is healthcare reform.
- The idea of healthcare reform was supposed to be affordable healthcare for everyone.
- But there is now a legal battle as the Catholic church and others fight against mandated contraception and abortion drugs in the Health and Human Services mandate.
President Obama issued the following statement on the night of Sept. 9, 2009 to a joint session of Congress in an effort push members of the House and Senate to pass his health-care bill:
“And one more misunderstanding I want to clear up – under our plan, no federal dollars will be used to fund abortions, and federal conscience laws will remain in place.”
Within six months, the Obama administration had officially approved the first instance of taxpayer-funded abortions in Pennsylvania.
Earlier this year, there was an expansion of the Obamacare law requiring millions of Americans to pay a minimum surcharge for abortion services.
- The amount to be remitted will be a minimum of $12 per year, but could be much more.
- There is no opt out, and it begins in January 2013.
So I ask you,Where could we possibly find a throng of spirited people who are anchored in truth, filled with the Spirit, zealous for good works, and resilient in the face of deceit, oppression and overwhelm?
- It’s the Body of Christ!
- I’m not saying we should ever change the primary focus of the Church: preaching the Gospel of Jesus and raising up disciples all over the country.
- But if our spirits are strong and our minds are clear, we can still rise to serve!
QuestionIs progressivism new to you? Do you think most people who vote understand the "men over God" connection?
Prior Posts on Christian Civic Involvement
World News Daily. http://www.wnd.com/2012/06/dobson-to-prez-i-wont-bow-to-wicked-obamacare/, Accessed. June 5, 2012.
Subscribe to receive my posts by email. Plus, you'll receive my 31-Day Road Trip Rest Stop Devotional by email starting within an hour!