Let’s restate the question, “Is the United States a Christian nation?”, a few different ways. See how you do on the quiz!
Five great questions of life: Life * Love * Learning * Labor * Leadership
Quiz: Is the United States a Christian nation?
There are very few topics that will spark debate like this one. Sometimes people mean very different things when they ask the question.
By Evan Nehring
By Evan Nehring
Let’s restate the question, “Is the United States a Christian nation?”, a few different ways. See how you do on the quiz! If you scroll slowly, you can conceal the answers below each picture until you've chosen your answer.
1. Is Christian teaching the primary religious system that influenced the founding of the United States?
George Whitefield, 1700's Revival Preacher
Yes, it is.
- The founding documents were profoundly influenced by Christian thought and teaching.
2. Were the majority of the founding fathers of the United States Christians who generally believed in the truth of the Bible?
Painting of General George Washington: "The Prayer at Valley Forge"
Yes, they were.
3. Is Christianity (of various sorts) the largest religion in the United States?
Washington National Cathedral
Yes, it is.
4. Did Christian beliefs provide the intellectual background that led to many of the cultural values still held by Americans today? These would include things such as:
- Respect for the individual
- Protection of individual rights
- Respect for personal freedom
- The value of hard work
- The need for a strong national defense
- The need to show care for the poor and weak
- The value of generosity
- Respect for the rule of law.
Thirteen Original Colonies
5. Was there a Supreme Court decision that one time affirmed that the United States is a Christian nation?
Yes, there was, but that wasn't the issue that was under dispute in the case.
6. Are a majority of people in the United States devoted Christians?
Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, Washington, D.C.
- 51% self-identify as Protestants
- 25% self-identify as Catholics
7. Is belief in Christian values the dominant perspective promoted in the United States government, the media, and universities in the United States today?
No, it is not.
8. Does the United States government promote Christianity as the national religion?
No, it does not.
9. Does a person have to profess Christian faith in order to become a US citizen or to have equal rights under the law of the United States?
No, certainly not. This has never been true. In fact, the Constitution itself explicitly prohibits any religious test for public office:
- No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States (Article VI, section 3). (64-65)
So, is the United States a Christian nation?
- By some significant definitions, yes
- By other significant definitions, no, …but let me say this:
I’m calling the Church today in this great representative Republic to represent! To engage! To show up!
Prior Posts on Christian Civic Involvement
QuestionHow did you do on the quiz? Feel free to leave a comment below with your score or anything interesting you picked up.
Subscribe to receive my posts by email. Plus, you'll receive my 31-Day Road Trip Rest Stop Devotional by email starting within an hour!